This brief overview is not intended to replace the TOURNAMENT RULES. Registrants should carefully consult the Tournament Rules for additional requirements concerning the operation of the Tournament.
NEW: Skin & Mount Restrictions for Round of 64 and Onward
We are restricting the use of certain mounts and skins for any broadcast match in the Round of 64 and onward. Please read this list carefully, and consult an admin if you have any questions!
- Legendary, Master, Limited and "Esports-Banned Skins are not playable in the Grand Finals.
- For all other games, only "Esports-Banned Skins" are banned from play:
- Maraudin' Muradin
- Cyberhawk Kael'thas
- Archangel Diablo
- Striker Li-Ming
- Druid of the Flame Malfurion
- "Esports-Banned Mounts"
- Countess Kerrigan Mount (bat)
- Crimson Count Arthas Mount (gargoyle)
- "Esports-Banned Mounts"
Who is eligible?
- College Students in the United States or Canada
- Players must be considered legal residents of the United States or Canada
- Quebec residents are eligible
- Students should be enrolled in an accredited graduate school or 4-year college or university
- Students attending a 2-year college are eligible
- Players must be considered full-time students by their school
- Players must be of the age of majority in their country of residence or if under the age of majority but over 13 (a minor) must have parental consent to participate
- Players must have a registered and authorized account at https://compete.tespa.org and Blizzard Battle.net
- Eligible teams consist of 5 to 6 participants
- All players must attend the same school
- Players cannot be on more than one team
- Teams must designate 5 members of the team as 'players' and any additional players as 'substitutes'
- Schools may field as many teams as they would like
- Only one team per school will advance from Regular Season to Playoffs, in the event that more than one team from a school qualifies the team with more match wins will be chosen
- If one or more teams from the same school qualify for Playoffs and have equal match wins, tie-break matches will be played before the Playoffs to determine who advances
- We encourage schools to designate a Coordinator to help manage your primary team
- Players must verify their school enrollment during registration by attaching a valid school email to their profile
- Additional proof of enrollment will be required upon reaching the round of 64 stage of the Tournament
What is the schedule?
Please refer to the 'Schedule' tab for the full schedule
What is the format?
- Matches shall consist of 2 teams competing in one Best of 3 match
- Each game will use the 'Custom' game mode using 'Tournament Draft' lobby mode
- For the first game of a match, first draft should be set to 'Coin Toss'
- The first map for each match will be communicated on the bracket page or by tournament administrators
- After the initial game of a match is played, the losing team will be allowed to choose from any of the remaining maps, or to have first hero pick
- The winning team will receive the option the losing team does not pick
- The losing team should create the next draft incorporating the first pick and map decision
- Match will continue until one of the teams wins 2 games, at which point that team will be considered the winner of the match
- Finals will be Best of 5 and conclude when a team wins 3 games
- Matches will take place on Blizzard's Americas Server
- Only maps available in the 'Live' map pool are allowed to be selected for the tournament
- Maps can only be picked once per match
- Tournament admins reserve the right to limit whether certain heroes or game maps may be used for tournament play
- New heroes will not be allowed until 14 days after the hero release
How do we play our matches?
- Matches will be assigned on the 'Brackets' tab. You can also find your matches on the 'My Matches' tab of the Tournament when logged in
- Each round is assigned a match time, teams must be online and ready to play at this time
- Matches can be played earlier if both team captains agree and they document the agreement in writing (for e.g. a screenshot of the in-game chat, email, etc)
- Matches cannot be played after a scheduled match time
- If a match is played earlier, winning team must wait until the scheduled match time to report the score
- If both team captains do not agree to play earlier, failure to be online during the scheduled round time within 20 minutes after the round begins will result in a forfeit of the match
- Teams may not pause for more than 10 minutes during a game
- Pausing longer may result in a warning, game loss, or match loss and is up to the discretion of the tournament admin
- Should a player lose their connection and 'drop', if they do not reconnect within the allocated pause time, the game will continue
- All players are responsible for their own internet connections
- The usage of a player who is not registered as a player or substitute player on a team roster will result in penalties that could include loss of the match, disqualification, or a re-game
- Team captains are required to save replays of all games their team plays during the tournament
- Upon match completion, the winning team captain must report the win and upload relevant replays to their match page on the Compete Website
- If a win is unreported, both teams will be assumed to be 'no-show' and will not be assigned further matches
- If the team captain is unable to report the score, reports the score incorrectly, or the other team records the score incorrectly, that captain must contact a tournament admin with relevant evidence to show the correct outcome
What is the region distribution?
- The “West” Region shall include teams from Alaska, Arizona, California, Hawaii, Idaho, Nevada, Oregon, Utah, Washington, British Columbia, Yukon, Northwest Territories and Alberta
- The “North” Region shall include teams from Colorado, Illinois, Indiana, Iowa, Kansas, Kentucky, Michigan, Minnesota, Missouri, Montana, Nebraska North Dakota, Ohio, South Dakota, Wisconsin, Wyoming, Saskatchewan, Manitoba, Nunavut, and Ontario
- The “South” Region shall include teams from Arkansas, Florida, Georgia, Louisiana, Mississippi, New Mexico, North Carolina, Oklahoma, South Carolina, Tennessee, Texas, Alabama and Puerto Rico
- The “East” Region shall include teams from Connecticut, Delaware, Maine, Maryland, Massachusetts, New Hampshire, New Jersey, New York, Pennsylvania, Rhode Island, Virginia, West Virginia, Vermont, Quebec, New Brunswick, Prince Edward Island, and Nova Scotia
What is the battleground map pool?
- Battlefield of Eternity
- Braxis Holdout
- Cursed Hollow
- Dragon Shire
- Infernal Shrines
- Sky Temple
- Tomb of the Spider Queen
- Towers of Doom
- Warhead Junction